We are getting ready to celebrate this year’s World Down Syndrome Day on March 21 (3.21). Each year our family does some type of activity to celebrate.
In 2016 our activity has been organized by Hayden!
This project idea started when Hayden came to me and said “Mom I made you a bookmark, now pay me $1.00 for it and I will give you a quarter back.” At first I thought wow maybe she going to be a successful salesperson or entrepreneur one day and make lots of money so Bruce & I don’t have to finance her forever!
I asked her what she was going to do with her money if I bought a bookmark. She said, going to spend it at the store. I said – why don’t you sell your bookmarks & donate your money? She didn’t really understand what or why one would donate money. We have talked to her about saving money but not much about donating. Bruce and I explained that a donation is a gift from your heart and your gift in turn will benefit others 🙂
I am so proud of Miss Hayden for taking the ball and running with this project. She has been making the items, organizing and strategizing. She even has her own store setup at home!
Here are the details:
- All product materials have been donated by the Brawner Family! Thank you! So all proceeds will be donated.
- All proceeds of the project will be donated to our local Down Syndrome organizations.
- Everything’s in 3’s
- March 21st (3.21) is the 3rd month on the 21st day of the year. People with Down syndrome have 3 copies of the 21st chromosome that is why March 21st was selected as World Down Syndrome Day.
- We have 3 items for sale – a necklace, a bracelet & a key chain.
- There are 3 specialty beads on each item in the colors of the Down Syndrome Awareness Ribbon – Royal Blue & Gold.
- Items are $3.00 each.
- Items will be available for purchase now till March 21st (3.21) which is World Down Syndrome Day.
- With your purchase you receive a FREE bookmark from Hayden!
- Let myself or Hayden know if you would like to place an order.
Previous World Down Syndrome Day Schmitz family activities include:
2015 “Random Acts of Kindness”
2014 “Lots of Socks”