- Down Syndrome is also referred to as Trisomy 21. This is because there is a 3rd copy of the 21st chromosome.
- March 21st (3.21) is World Down Syndrome Day
- October is Down Syndrome Awareness Month
- Down Syndrome is a naturally occurring chromosomal arrangement that happens at conception.
- About one in 700 babies in the US is born with Down syndrome.
- In 1983, the average life expectancy for someone with Down syndrome was just 25 years; now, it is 60 years — and counting.
- St. Robert Bellarmine is the Patron Saint for Individuals with Down syndrom
Prayer For Raising a Child with Down Syndrome
O Sweet Lord through the intercession of St. Robert Bellarmine, I ask for your merciful hand to guide me with sacrificial love to raise my beautiful child of light, your perfect creation. Lord, help me to know that Your burden is light and Your yoke is easy as I care for my precious child whose humble soul shines with purity, beauty and the Love of God.
O Lord, what is easier, gentler and sweeter than to know the goodness, beauty and love which is my child and You O Lord. Amen